Did the flood described in Genesis really happen? Surprisingly, this is still a question that is being actively debated. Roughly 300 cultures around the world have had stories of a massive flood. Many of them also share a similar narrative: a great flood was sent by God to destroy civilization as punishment while sparing a select few to repopulate the earth. Do these stories recount a true historical event or are they merely myths? The reason this question continues to be debated is because it has far-reaching implications on our lives. A belief in life as a result of evolution negates the need for God. This “enlightened” view allows us to believe we possess all of the answers which make us feel in control of the world we live in and our own lives. Being long misled about the quality of evidence for evolution, the general public has written off the story of Noah’s flood as myth.
However, many recent discoveries have demonstrated inconsistencies with this conclusion, and new evidence suggests that a catastrophic global flood may better explain these apparent inconsistencies. Although mass extinctions, fossils, plate tectonics, and continental movement have been used in support of evolution, much of the same evidence can also be supported by a catastrophic global flood. Further, all of these changes could have occurred over a relatively short period of time.
Unexplainable Problems with Evolutionary Theory
Modern geology has shifted away from uniformitarianism (slow incremental changes, such as erosion, brought about all the Earth’s geological features) toward actualism, a blend of both gradual and catastrophic events. The assumption that rates or intensities of geologic processes remain constant over geologic time has not been supported by recent catastrophic natural events have. This new perspective has repercussions for the fossil record as well.
Inconsistent Fossil Discoveries
- Pollen fossils, evidence of flowering plants preexisting to spread the pollen, were found in the Precambrian strata. at least 390 million years before they were supposed to have evolved. 164 million-year-old plant fossil is the oldest example of a flowering bud | Live Science
- Grass has been found identified in fossilized dinosaur dung. Grass was not supposed to have evolved until at least 10 million years after the dinosaurs went extinct. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140910132522.htm
- Small dinosaur found in the stomach of a mammal about the size of a large cat. A second mammal fossil found at the same site claims the distinction of being the largest early mammal ever found. It’s about the size of a modern dog, a breathtaking 20 times larger than most mammals living in the early Cretaceous Period. https://www.livescience.com/3794-dinosaur-fossil-mammal-stomach.htm
- Fossils indicate small squirrel like mammals originated at least 208 million years ago in the late Triassic, much earlier than some previous research suggests. Three extinct squirrel-like species discovered: Mammals may have originated much earlier than thought — ScienceDaily
- Jurassic aquatic mammal found in China. Impressions of fur and scales on the broad tail, similar to a beaver, with skeletal adaptations for swimming and burrowing and dental features for aquatic feeding. This type of mammal was not thought to have evolved until the Mesozoic period. This Week in Science
- A tumbling flower beetle with pollen on its legs discovered preserved in amber deep inside a mine in northern Myanmar. The fossil, pushes back the earliest documented instance of insect pollination to a time when pterodactyls still roamed the skies — or about 50 million years earlier than previously thought. New fossil pushes back physical evidence of insect pollination to 99 million years ago: News at IU: Indiana University
The Theory of Evolution is built upon dating techniques reliant on uniformitarianism. These apparent “out of order” fossils would require the entire evolutionary narrative to be rewritten. These discoveries, however, would not be surprising at all in light of a global flood. The following post will address the validity of a global flood as historical fact.